Distracted

>> Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In my brief years of following Christ, I've found that the closer I get to Jesus, the more I see the "exceeding sinfulness" of my sin [Romans 7:13]. It makes sense that it would be this way considering how scripture promotes humility as a virtue that is to be sought out. Think about the Pharisee and tax collector that go to pray in the temple; it is the humble sinner who beats his chest before the Lord that goes home justified. Think about John the Baptist who was unworthy to untie his masters sandals. Think about Jesus, who humbled himself to the point of death, even death on a cross.

But how easy can it be to seek Christ some other way instead of humbling ourself before the Lord? I've recognized that I can read, pray, and seek to obey the commandments, all with a ridiculously proud heart. But there is no fruit, no joy, no peace, and no communion with God, for the proud, because "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word."

My encouragement: if you want to experience Christ, if you want to glorify his name, and if you want victory over sin, you must first see yourself as sinful and unworthy before a GREAT and JUST God. May our sin cause us to see the exceeding graciousness of his grace.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP