In Christ Alone

>> Monday, March 30, 2009

No, i'm not referring to Stuart Townsend's new-school jam. I am referring to what the Lord has been teaching me lately.

I've been listening to Piper's book Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist via audiobook, and it's got me thinking a lot about joy. Here's my thoughts:

I came to Christ because of joy. Plain and simply, life had no purpose or meaning in the life of 19 year old Mark Bennon. I was broken from putting all my marbles into a relationship that, at that time, was in shambles. I was confused because all the things that I had taken comfort in were stripped from me. There were no more sports, no more drinking buddies, no more girlfriend, no more knowing everybody, no more reputation, no more familiarity. It was here that I heard an alternative to my hopelessness in the offer to follow Christ. I was more than interested, I was determined to know the Lord. I knew vaguely of my sin, and vaguely of what the cross meant, but I was not yet compelled by these truths. I was compelled almost solely by the prospect of joy in the Lord, and it was right and good to do so.

The only problem is that satan is persistent in tempting me to love everything else but Jesus and i'm dumb enough to believe him. Christian, how often do you hear the whisper in your ear that if you get/do/win/achieve (blank) you will be happy? And how dumb is it that we are decieved?! I've traveled the avenues of sin so many times, before knowing Jesus and after, and i've found no hope and no joy. There is simply emptiness apart from the small and the narrow. And yet we refuse to remember the joylessness of sin and the lessons that God has taught us.

So what?

  1. Thank the Lord that he is patient beyond our comprehension. That although we are dogs that return to our vomit who refuse to learn lessons previously taught, Jesus forgives us and looks upon us with compassion.

  2. Be humbled. This one shouldn't be hard for you.

  3. Don't be decieved. Resign to trust in NOTHING other than Jesus for your joy. Don't trust in your boyfriend/girlfriend, your job, your friends, your family, your anything. Believe that it's In Christ Alone that our hope is found.

  4. Fight for joy. Be dissatisfied with anything less than communion with the Lord. Pray that God would give you faith where you disbelieve. Pray that Satan would go to hell and that you would discern the whispers of the Father of decieit. Read your bible and obey it, knowing that joy is found in it's pages. Do not put down your sword, even for a moment. Your victory is sure, fight without fear.


John 15:7-11 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full."

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP