I killed another bee yesterday

>> Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I have to be saved everyday. That’s my thesis for the post. Let’s see if I can explain.

God commands us to delight in him. God commands us to be happy. He commands us to praise him. He commands us to be content in every situation. He commands us to have his joy in us. He says, “Rejoice always.” He even threatens punishment if we don’t serve him with joy:

Deu 28:47 Because you did not serve the LORD your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the LORD will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you.

So the question remains, are we happy?

Plain and simply, I’m often not happy. I often wish things were different. I often am angry at wrongs done against me. I’m often dissatisfied. I’m often really distracted. I fix my eyes on stuff, and lose sight of Jesus. I’m often really tired. Sometimes, I want to zone out for a good hour or take a nap for, oh lets say, a day or two. The truth is, sometimes things suck.

So what? Should we say that God is unjust in his commands?
“By no means! Let God be true and every man a liar…” (Rom 3:4)

Oh, if we would simply see him as he is! We don’t need to trick ourselves or chant “God is good” over and over until we are happy. We don’t need to deny the fact that circumstances can suck major butt sometimes, and just smile big and sing happy songs. To hell with fake-joy.

Oh that we would see Jesus! He is beautiful. He is worthy of all the worship that our hearts and mouths could possibly give him. He is majestic. He is awesome. He is dumb tite yo. He is powerful. He is holy. He is gracious. He is truly good. He is wise beyond understanding. He is everywhere at all times. He is eternal and needs no thing.

But we forget. We lose sight. We doubt. We are lazy. We are busy. We are tired. We are stupid. We sin.

And so I have to be saved everyday. I have to go everyday to the bible and ask for God to show me himself. I have to be reminded of how good he is. I have to pray and ask for him to give me eyes to see. I have to preach to myself the promises of God. I have to talk to friends and be around people that remind me of Jesus, both in word and deed.

So let’s fight to see him. Let’s fix our eyes on Jesus, “the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Let’s ask him to awaken us from our slumber. Let’s ask him to “draw near to us, as we draw near to him”. Let’s seek joy in nothing other than the risen Lord. Let’s war against every desire to be lazy, unbelieving, near-sighted, forgetful, dumb, and sinful. Let’s go to the cross, and there see Jesus our Lord. He bids us come.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP