Resolved

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Philippians 3:20-21 “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.”

I love AJ Johns. I’m unashamed. I love it when AJ prays, especially when he talks about heaven as his home. It’s sweet because you know he longs to be there with Jesus.

How is it that we can forget about heaven? I confess. I’m guilty. So often in the midst of the now, I forget about the yet to be. What a mistake. Paul said, “If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.” Don’t go saying that if Christ isn’t real, and heaven doesn’t exist, then you’d still want to DO Christianity. You can’t DO Christianity without heaven. How can we suffer as we are called to if there’s no hope in the resurrection?

Question: Why did Jesus suffer? “Jesus…for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God”

How did Paul suffer? “I consider that our present sufferings are not worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed to us.”

How are we called to suffer? “For this light and momentary affliction is storing up for us an eternal weight of glory beyond comparison.”

But the real question isn’t do you know HOW to suffer, it’s ARE YOU SUFFERING? I could give you a breakdown theologically of how a Christian should suffer. I could quote some scriptures concerning it. I could point you out several great sermons by several great pastors. I could even show you that you SHOULD suffer as a believer. But, the simple truth is that I avoid suffering for Christ.

Here’s the vision I’ve recently got from the Lord:
I am in a war. Bullets are flying all over the place. My enemies are pursuing me. They hide like lions in the shadows, seeking to devour. Yet I am not unarmed. I’m equipped and trained. I have a double-edged sword, and it’s sharp. My master has used it before and has been victorious. Not only this, but I’m armored. I got gear from head to toe, and it’s the good stuff. But more than all this, I have an advocate, such that I can say, “If Christ is for me, who can be against me?” And yet, in light of knowing ALL THIS, I flee. I run and seek to hide in a place that is safe.

I try to keep myself from sin by avoiding conflict. I’m done. I’m tired of quiet Christianity. It doesn’t work. The lukewarmness of my faith makes me sick. It’s no wonder Jesus is going to spit the lukewarm out of his mouth. I’m tired of the light being hidden under a bowl. Christ compels me, sin hinders me, and I’m fed up. I resolve to pray, and seek, and act, and do, and speak, and be, CHRIST’S unashamed. I resolve to not be satisfied with fruitlessness and comfortable living. I deny any contentment in my current ministry.

You with me?

2 comments:

Jody Lee April 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

dang. yyyeeeahh (that was chandler style) and it means that i'm in agreement with these words.

yo

faithy April 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

yeah. i'm with you. you should listen to that "how to kill sin" piper sermon series.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP